Wednesday 12 April 2017

Explosion Box for Baby....first attempt

Good morning all! It's quite a busy time leading up to Easter. It's the busiest and most crowded time of the year in my home town. Finding a car park is like winning the lottery! The Autumn weather is beautiful and the town and countryside is looking magnificent, so no wonder everyone from near and far want to visit over the four day Easter break. We'll be playing host to our visiting family, so we are all very excited to be spending time together. I'm hoping to get some great photos too! They've been few and far between of late :(  In the meantime I've been experimenting with a project I've been wanting to do for a while now. A work colleague of mine is due to have her baby very soon and I wanted to make an explosion box for her. This is my first attempt and I must say it was lots of fun (once I figured out the correct lid dimensions and how to embellish it).

I found the box measurements on Pinterest, decided on the colour scheme (as I don't know if the baby will be a blue or a pink). I then cut, embossed and die cut the base for the inside of the box.


The lid was a bit trickier because the measurements from Pinterest weren't correct and squashed the box up too much when closed so I had to re-jig the measurements. Sorry about the dappled light from my window.


So let the fun and games begin! I found some quotes online and typed them up onto some Bazzil cardstock and die cut them with a circle die that would fit nicely in the middle of the doily die cuts. I chose some wooden embellies, flowers, leaf sprigs and flourishes and played around with them until I was happy with the arrangement. The wooden heart was covered in paper and the "cherish" word was coated in a Viva Perlen-Pen in White Ice.


Then it was time to glue everything in place and decorate the lid. I don't have a lot of baby-themed embellishments (well actually I have zero baby-themed embellies, only stamps) so I just went with flowers and leaves.

 I'm not sure who are the authors of these quotes, so I'm unable to give credit but will rectify when I find out who they are.





I had a little box that I was given at a baby-shower a few years ago that I saved (of course!). It fitted perfectly in the centre of the explosion box. I cut the top off it, wrapped a little yellow ribbon around it and bought a tiny pair of bunny socks to fill the smaller box.


I love how the bunny is poking its head out :)

I hot-glued a satin ribbon to the bottom of the box then tied it around the whole thing to keep the lid from falling off.



All in all there were quite a few hours work in this, but only because I was unsure of what I was doing. I'll be doing another one of these very soon all going to plan, so stay tuned.  Thanks for dropping by xx

2 comments:

  1. WOW! this looks amazing and a lot of work and perfect for a baby <3

    ReplyDelete